Wednesday 2 January 2013

Weston super Mare FC, officially the tinpottiest of tinpot clubs

After the game against Weston super Mare on Boxing Day and the cancellations, and the continuing bad weather I did not expect the Weston super Mare away game on New Years Day to go ahead. With that in mind I didn't bother setting an alarm for the 9 o'clock pitch inspection, I did wake at 9:30, and found that the inspection had been pushed back to 10:30, "Ah the game is definitely off" I thought before rolling over and going back to sleep.

I did wake at 10:40ish, and found that the pitch inspection had been passed and the game was to go ahead. This completely screwed my original intention of getting the 11am train from Bath Spa, but the game was on! Happy days! So I caught a later train on my own and spent a leisurely hour traveling to WsM.

I arrived at the station and spoke to the stripes I was meant to meet on the earlier train, they were in The Waverley pub (named after a quality steamer which used to go down from Bristol to WsM and across to Wales) I entered, ordered a Tribute and spoke to the stripes outside. Myself and Tim decided to move inside, and I sat down a maximum of 15 minutes after arriving in WsM, at which point incredulously Pete walked in and informed us the game had been called off...

What!? I hear you scream, but there was a pitch inspection you cry. Yes, there was. And yet WsM FC once again proved what an amateur, crappy, awful little club they are, village teams are organised better, and definitely teams like Buckland Athletic, Bradford Town et al of Western League.

Suddenly 8 stripes were crestfallen, what to do, what to do. Sadly this could not be a Salisbury saviour (due to the impending doom of the 1st day at work) But we visited the pier, and went to the quality The Regency pub (The Waverley and Regency are definitely the best two pubs I've seen in WsM) So an enjoyable day was eventually salvaged, but WsM FC are now edging Crawley in clubs I truly despise.

Oh and in more devastating news Jim Rollo (Sir Jim Rollo, Jimmer, Rollodinho) club captain, record appearance holder and all round amazing man has left to join Chippenham as he wants to play more football, this news was truly heartbreaking, but Jim will forever be loved by anyone with black and white blood.

UTC!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment